Gracias / Thanks

#amazonaffiliate

Best for early elementary age, but my daughter and I read this picture book yesterday and really enjoyed it. Probably one of the most important things we can do is teach our children to always give thanks; particularly, for the smaller things in life. This book follows a school aged boy as he finds fourteen things he is thankful for, from waking up in the morning to falling back asleep at night. On the majority of pages a Spanish sentence is on the left sided page and English on the right, always ending with the word Gracias (Thanks).
One review from Booklist notes, "the boy himself appears to be bicultural, with a fair-skinned, blond mother and a Latino father, and together with the boy’s siblings and extended family, they are warmly depicted dancing, fishing, working, and eating. Parra’s vivid acrylic illustrations have the feel of folk-art woodcuts and whimsically portray the details of the boy’s world". I was personally touched by this as my children are also biracial, and the illustrator really seemed to capture the love and joy all the family members have for each other. Maybe I also became biased as at the end of the book I found out that the illustrator lives in my hometown of South Richmond Hill, Queens, NY. Sorry, but I think this makes the book extra cool, for anyone else familiar with Queens and all its rich diversity. Meanwhile the author has won numerous awards and is also the founder of El dia de los niƱos/El dia de los libros, which she describes on her website as "a year-long commitment to celebrating all our children and to motivating them and their families to be readers". That makes me feel that much more connected to this book that I want to enjoy it over and over again, and hope you enjoy it too!

https://amzn.to/2Jacobh

Comments